Most times, when I have a small flashback of *whatever* and want to research it, most times I can find it on YouTube. This week's flashback is musical, to be more specific, My Parents' Musical. Being a child of the late 70s, I sure did get exposed to some very different music. (The Parents also introduced me to Tom T. Hall.)
Here are a few examples of weirdness that have always plagued me. Emphasis on plague.
The Edger Winter Group, Frankenstein
- I covered this one real good a while back.
- Actually I mentioned it twice. I have issues with this song, these people!
- I always took this as "venture a highway." I was always exploring while singing this song.
- WTF is an alligator lizard anyways?? And why in the HELL are they in the air? HOLY CRAP! They're real. Wikipedia can be a very scary place!
- Now that I'm a grown up (and not 7) I totally get the "nights are stronger than moonshine" bit. I don't think my nose hairs have ever grown back from that one taste. If you've had a night stronger than moonshine, how are you able to sing so pretty?
- Totally the first place I heard about purple rain, I wonder if Price got it from them too?
- I don't know what's wrong with my boyfriend, but I wish he'd play them more. And Chicago too. forget the cowbell, we need MORE HORNS!
- I barely remember this song, but I do remember the scary voice scaring the crap out of me. Its possible that my fear of spiders began with this song.
- There are only a few words to the song, it's not complicated or long. The only lyrics I ever heard were "HERE COMES THE SPIDER! HERE COMES THE SPIDER! CREEPY! CRAWLY! CREEPY CREEPY CRAWLY CRAWLY!!" And it made me want to scream and run away.
- This one time, at government-run junior college, I rode the Billy Jack bus to the free movies. The movie was Arachnophobia. I broke the seat in front of me because I was so creeped out, I would NOT put my feet on the floor. I had my feet braced on the back of the empty seat in front of me and ended up cracking it after kicking it for 103 minutes.
- Until today's lyric search, I never knew that the spider got smashed in the end. Awesome! The spider dies!! Wish I'd have known that for the last 30+ years.
So what about you? Do you have any music issues or am I the only freak around here?